Payroll Accountant - Madison, WI
Process payroll and accounts payable. Maintain and update accounting files and provide general administrative support to the accounting department.
- Perform bi-weekly payroll including retroactive payments, special payments, allowance reporting and payments, advances, child support, union dues and initiation fees, loans and other voluntary deductions, transit, tax levies, wage assignments and garnishments.
- Review payroll for new hires and for other wage, salary and benefit changes.
- Transmit payroll files for processing.
- Other Payroll
- Revise and maintain payroll user documentation, operating procedures, policies and/or guidelines.
- Work with payroll software vendor to create benefit and leave codes and rules for new benefits and deductions.
- Maintain Time and Attendance module and leave balances.
- Quarterly and annual review of payroll tax reports, including W-2's.
- Coordinate all general ledger adjustments related to payroll benefits processing.
- Review and reconcile general ledger benefit accounts.
- Prepare the annual fringe benefit analysis.
- Evaluate current systems and work with HR/Payroll software vendors to determine optimal solutions.
- Research, troubleshoot and test systems as needed.
- General Ledger
- Manage and reconcile petty cash.
- Process cash receipts and prepare bank deposits.
- Post accounts payable and journal entries.
- Prepare and process month-end journal entries and accruals.
- Provide support for external audits.
- Accounts Payable
- Prepare and process accounts payable vouchers.
- Process accounts payable checks.
- Enter manual checks into accounting system.
- Review monthly accounts payable aging for accuracy.
- General Administrative
- Maintain and update files and documentation according to the records retention policy, including accounts payable, contract & award agreements, audits, donor & accounting reference material, correspondence and other documents.
- Provide general administrative support to accounting department and office.
- Print, distribute and file monthly general ledger and financial reports.
- Provide accounts payable and journal entry documentation as requested.
- Administer corporate credit cards.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to ensure individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience: Associate's degree in accounting. Bachelor's degree preferred. Three to five years of experience in payroll, general ledger and accounts payable. Experience with multi-state payroll tax filing (manual and online) and federal 940-941. Knowledge of federal, state and local payroll regulations, including FLSA, Wage and Hour, retirement, social security, tax levies and garnishments. Preferred experience working with time billing systems and international payrolls.
Language Skills: Fluent in English; excellent oral and written communication skills.
Mathematic Skills: Ability to solve practical problems by choosing appropriately from a variety of mathematical and statistical techniques.
Reasoning Skills: Ability to schedule and meet the critical deadlines of payroll processing and reporting. Strong attention to detail and follow-up. Ability to follow instructions and document any changes. Demonstrated skills in discretion and confidentiality.
Computer Skills: Spreadsheets (Excel), word processing, automated accounting systems and complex payroll/HRIS systems.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. While performing the duties of the job, the employee may occasionally be exposed to outdoor weather conditions extreme heat and/or cold and working in unusual places. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit (occasionally for extended periods of time). The employee is frequently required to talk, hear, reach and stand; rarely required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES: APA preferred
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None
TRAVEL: Up to 10 days per calendar year
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and can be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities that management deems necessary.
Qualified applicants may forward resume and cover letter, including salary requirements to:
World Council of Credit Unions
Fax: (608) 338-0533
EEO AAP Employer