Staff Accountants perform general accounting duties and assist with the preparation of quarterly and annual financial and tax documents to support the functions of the CFO and Senior Accounting Manager. In addition, this position may serve as a lead worker to coordinate special projects, such as the annual budget process, automation, and efficiency related projects.
- General Accounting Duties - Responsible for assisting with general accounting functions including:
- Preparing and processing journal entries for month-end and year-end accruals and reconciling accounts to the supporting documentation.
- Processing employee expense reports and related credit card charges.
- Processing accounts payable check payment vouchers and wire payments. Including monthly/quarterly lease payments and telephone related invoices for Madison and D.C. offices.
- Producing accurate financial reports for managers.
- Providing supporting schedules for annual audit.
- Corporate Accounting Duties - Assist the CFO and Senior Accounting Manager, including:
- Preparing quarterly/annual U.S. Census reports.
- Assisting with preparation of annual audit schedules and financial statements.
- Assisting with preparation of annual tax schedules (Form 990s and 1120).
- Assisting with the annual budget process.
- Preparing annual state registration filings.
- Completing and submitting annual reports to the Department of Financial Institutions.
- Providing assistance with annual insurance renewals for Workers Compensation, general business insurance and travel (AD & D) insurance.
- Completing final month-end close procedures for World Council of Credit Unions (WOCCU), WOCCU Services Group (WSG) and Worldwide Foundation (WF).
- Other Accounting Duties - Position may be assigned to various other accounting duties or serve as a backup for other positions, including:
- Processing cash receipts including wire transfers, collecting cash, preparing deposit tickets and journal entries.
- Accounting for donations, including collection and tracking of receipts, reconciliations to the CRM and reporting to management.
- Processing credit card receipts and coordinating communication and administration of credit card processing providers. Creating new accounts, overseeing password and user level authority and being a resource to other departments on how the credit card process works.
- Preparing annual reports and tax schedules such as workers' compensation, 1099s and state registrations.
- Providing guidance for appropriate 1099 classification with vendor set-up and maintenance.
- Assisting with development and implementation of automated system(s) for capturing Paid Time Off, Project Billing and Travel Days.
- Providing backup for Accounts Payable function.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to ensure individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience: Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance. Minimum five years accounting experience. Public accounting experience desired. Nonprofit industry, OMB Circulars and /or donor grants experience preferred.
Language Skills: Excellent oral and written communication skills. Fluency in English and Spanish required.
Computer Skills: Proficient with Microsoft Outlook (Excel, Word and Outlook). Experience working with general ledger accounting systems. Microsoft Dynamics SL preferred.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of the job, the employee may occasionally be exposed to outdoor weather conditions extreme heat and/or cold and working in unusual places. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit (occasionally for extended periods of time). The employee is frequently required to talk, hear, reach and stand; rarely required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES: Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Management Accountant (CMA) preferred.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None.
TRAVEL: Up to 20 days per year; both domestic and international.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and can be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities that management deems necessary.
Interested applicants may forward resume and cover letter, including salary requirements to:
World Council of Credit Unions-Human Resources
Fax: (608) 338-0533
EEO AAP Employer