Anne Cochran Named World Council’s First-Ever Female Chair at 2015 World Credit Union Conference
World Council presents new members and awards at annual general meeting
July 14, 2015
DENVER — Anne Cochran, president and CEO of the Louisiana Credit Union League (LCUL) in the United States, has been named the first female chair of World Council of Credit Unions' board of directors. Cochran, who succeeded outgoing chair Grzegorz Bierecki, president and CEO of the National Association of Co-operative Savings and Credit Unions of Poland, formally accepted the chair's chain of office during the World Credit Union Conference general session on Tuesday in Denver, USA.
"My passion for the credit union movement in the past 15 years has helped me to represent World Council in many arenas, from management certification programs to training at global conferences to working with universities in Ecuador, Moscow and Nairobi," Cochran said.
Cochran, a native of Ireland, has played a key role for nearly two decades in advancing the credit union movement at state, national and international levels. Under her leadership, LCUL attained its highest-ever affiliation ratio and has hosted delegations from developing credit unions in Africa and Russia to help strengthen their movements. She has served on several credit union organization committees, such as CUNA's World Affairs Committee. She has served for World Council in many capacities, including speaking at numerous credit union events worldwide and participating in the Global Women's Leadership Network.
"My passion for the entire credit union movement knows no bounds," said Cochran. "I pledge to you to continue to grow that passion in my new role as chair of World Council of Credit Unions."
Other newly elected World Council directors at the 2015 annual general meeting Monday afternoon included:
- Mark Degotardi, CEO, Customer Owned Banking Association, Australia
- Chul-sang Moon, chairman and president, National Credit Union Federation of Korea
- Rafal Matusiak, president/CEO, National Association of Co-operative Savings & Credit Unions, Poland
- Jaime Chaves Suarez, CEO, Federación Nacional de Cooperativas de Ahorro y Crédito Financieras, Colombia
World Council's 2015-2016 executive committee is as follows:
- Chair, Anne Cochran, USA
- First Vice Chair, Daniel Burns, Canada
- Second Vice Chair, Patrick Jury, USA
- Treasurer, Manfred Dasenbrock, Brazil
- Secretary, Brian McCrory, Ireland
World Council also recognized its new member organizations at the annual general meeting:
- Direct member: National Credit Union Federation of Korea
- Associate members: Association of Credit Unions in the Netherlands and Dutch Association of Cooperating Credit Unions
- Affiliate members: African Confederation of Cooperative Savings & Credit Associations and Association of Asian Confederation of Credit Unions
World Council presented Outstanding Membership Growth Awards to the following member organizations in recognition of outstanding membership growth rates in 2014:
- Kenya Union of Savings & Credit Co-operatives Ltd. (KUSCCO) of Kenya
- Association of British Credit Unions Limited (ABCUL) of Great Britain
- Asociación de Instituciones Rurales de Ahorro y Crédito, Inc. (AIRAC) of the Dominican Republic
World Council of Credit Unions is the global trade association and development platform for credit unions. World Council promotes the sustainable development of credit unions and other financial cooperatives around the world to empower people through access to high quality and affordable financial services. World Council advocates on behalf of the global credit union system before international organizations and works with national governments to improve legislation and regulation. Its technical assistance programs introduce new tools and technologies to strengthen credit unions' financial performance and increase their outreach.
World Council has implemented 300+ technical assistance programs in 89 countries. Worldwide, 89,026 credit unions in 117 countries serve 260 million people. Learn more about World Council's impact around the world at www.woccu.org.