Envision Financial, HEPCOE Credit Union, The Co- operators and its Quebec subsidiary L'Union Canadienne have all been named among the top fifty places to work in Canada. The recognition comes in the fifth annual survey of the "50 Best Employers in Canada", conducted by Hewitt Associates for The Globe and Mail's Report on Business magazine.
"This is a significant achievement for us, particularly in a year that posed many challenges for our industry," said Bernie Mitchell, Vice- President of Human Resources at The Co- operators. "What it tells us is that we're succeeding in recognizing and engaging our employees – a constant goal for us. Ultimately, that results in both satisfied employees and satisfied customers," Ms. Mitchell added.
According to HEPCOE Credit Union, the proof is in the numbers. In tabulating the scores of organizations being considered to join the prestigious ranks of "50 Best Employers in Canada," 70% of the score is based on anonymous employee surveys- you simply cannot be considered a great employer unless your employees believe it. Also, in a recent independent poll, over 90% of HEPCOE members said that they were satisfied and would recommend HEPCOE to a friend or relative.
"This is a testament to the quality of our people," says Wendy Brennan, HEPCOE Credit Union. "HEPCOE employees make this a wonderful place to work, and it shows in the quality of service they provide- we all win: employees, HEPCOE Credit Union members, and the communities in which we live."
Despite the fierce competition, the companies managed to exceed the general requirements of the prestigious ranking. Listed below are some of the reasons why the companies were selected:
Envision Financial, Langley, BC – Envision U corporate university, staff concierge, and profit sharing. HEPCOE Credit Union Ltd., Toronto, ON – 2% of pretax profits given to charity and emphasis on family atmosphere. The Co-operators, Guelph, ON – Commitment to hiring and development within and focus on Wellness plan. L'Union Canadienne Sillery, QB – Profit sharing and discounts on auto and home insurance. There were three parts to the survey. First, a detailed questionnaire was distributed to at least 200 employees, more in the case of larger organizations. That counted for 70% of each employer's score. The remaining 30% was based on a comprehensive human-resources practices survey and a leadership team survey for top executives. Hewitt then calculated how closely employees' and leaders' goals are aligned, and whether practices and programs reinforce the vision.
The Globe and Mail's Report on Business magazine publishes the list of "The 50 Best Employers in Canada" annually. The list is generated from the "Best Employers in Canada" study conducted annually by HR outsourcing and consulting firm Hewitt Associates. The goal of the study is to identify "Best Employers" based on employee opinions, organizational HR practices, and the perspective of the organization's leadership team.
For more information, including instructions on how you can apply for the next survey, log on to http://www.hewitt.com/bestemployerscanada.
World Council of Credit Unions is the global trade association and development agency for credit unions. World Council promotes the sustainable development of credit unions and other financial cooperatives around the world to empower people through access to high quality and affordable financial services. World Council advocates on behalf of the global credit union system before international organizations and works with national governments to improve legislation and regulation. Its technical assistance programs introduce new tools and technologies to strengthen credit unions' financial performance and increase their outreach.
World Council has implemented more than 290 technical assistance programs in 71 countries. Worldwide, 51,000 credit unions in 100 countries serve 196 million people. Learn more about World Council's impact around the world at www.woccu.org.