Four Scholars Named by Global Women’s Leadership Network
Recipients represent Africa, Asia and the US
May 26, 2020
MADISON, Wis.—The World Council of Credit Unions’ Global Women’s Leadership Network (GWLN) awarded four scholarships to industry women to join the Network and to provide opportunities for professional development, networking and skill diversification.
The 2020 scholarship winners include:
- Mbiba Joyce Mpopii – Board chairperson, Wa Worker’s Co-Operative Credit Union, Ghana
- Joselita Cardona – CEO, Most Holy Rosary Multipurpose Cooperative, Philippines
- Griselda Spencer – VP Accounting, Star of Texas Credit Union, USA
- Joan Atuhurra – Head of finance and administration, African Confederation of Co-operative Savings and Credit Associations (ACCOSCA), Uganda
“Now more than ever GWLN must continue to invest in credit union women who find themselves at the core of solutions for their homes and communities,” said Lena Giakoumopoulos, program director for the Global Women’s Leadership Network. “Layered on top of existing inequalities, the COVID-19 crisis has intensified vulnerabilities women already face.”
GWLN received a record number of applications since the program began in 2009 from women with diverse financial and socio-economic backgrounds in credit union systems around the globe.
“Today, families encounter heightened tensions, financial uncertainties and other pressures during this pandemic affecting all people, but women are being challenged by having to juggle work and online home schooling and caretaking for family members. They also face a disproportionate amount of domestic violence and mental health issues,” said Giakoumopoulos.
This year’s GWLN scholarship winners are offered a choice between participating in the 2020 Executive Readiness Summit in Madison, Wisconsin or the 2021 World Credit Union Conference in Glasgow, Scotland.
For the 2020 Executive Readiness Summit, scholarship winners receive:
- A complimentary one-year membership to the Global Women’s Leadership Network;
- An all-expense paid trip to attend the 2020 Executive Readiness Summit, Madison, Wisconsin;
- A complimentary registration to a two-day workshop focused on connecting credit union women to build critical skills, personal leadership, networking and expanding knowledge to support and equip executive-track women in their career journey and inspire new insights and action.
For 2021 World Credit Union Conference, winners receive:
- A complimentary registration to the 2021 World Credit Union Conference, co-hosted with the Association of British Credit Unions Limited (ABCUL);
- An all-expense paid trip to attend 2021 World Credit Union Conference;
- A complimentary one-year membership to the Global Women’s Leadership Network.
Since 2009, GWLN has awarded 64 scholarships to women from 24 countries.Scholarships are made possible through funding from annual membership donations and sponsorships, including the generous support of CUNA Mutual Group, PSCU and the Susan Adams Scholarship Fund supported by One AZ Credit Union.
World Council of Credit Unions is the global trade association and development platform for credit unions. World Council promotes the sustainable development of credit unions and other financial cooperatives around the world to empower people through access to high quality and affordable financial services. World Council advocates on behalf of the global credit union system before international organizations and works with national governments to improve legislation and regulation. Its technical assistance programs introduce new tools and technologies to strengthen credit unions' financial performance and increase their outreach.
World Council has implemented 300+ technical assistance programs in 90 countries. Worldwide, 86,055 credit unions in 118 countries serve 291 million people. Learn more about World Council's impact around the world at www.woccu.org.