Global Women’s Leadership Network Awards Six Scholarships
Recipients will represent Africa, Caribbean at 2019 WCUC in The Bahamas
May 23, 2019
MADISON, Wis.—The World Council of Credit Unions’ Global Women’s Leadership Network (GWLN) awarded six scholarships to industry women to join the Network and to provide opportunities for professional development, networking and diversifying skill sets through participation in the 2019 World Credit Union Conference.
The six 2019 scholarship winners include:
- Rene Gayle, Assistant General Manager, First Heritage Co-Operative Credit Union Ltd. (Jamaica)
- Habiba Kent, Board Member, Windsor Employees Sacco (Uganda)
- Barbra Mchenga, Youth Advisor, Malawi Police Service Sacco (Malawi)
- Rose Vanessa Nyambi, Microinsurance Manager, Malawi Union of Savings and Credit Cooperatives (MUSCCO) (Malawi)
- Bettyrose Okiri, Project Manager, African Confederation of Co-operative Savings and Credit Associations (ACCOSCA) (Kenya)
- Jovitta Sakwiya, HR, Administration and Marketing Executive, Malawi Union of Savings and Credit Cooperatives (MUSCCO) (Malawi)
GWLN typically grants four scholarships, but two additional scholarships were awarded this year.
“We were both impressed and encouraged by the large number of applications submitted by incredibly deserving credit union women from across the globe. Their commitment to seeking advancement opportunities for themselves and their communities through support from GWLN inspired us to expand the number of recipients,” said Lena Giakoumopoulos, program director for the Global Women’s Leadership Network. “It’s always great to see our scholarship winners take action once they leave WCUC and return home. Recently, one of our 2018 scholarship recipients led the charge for the first GWLN Sister Society chapter in her home country of Great Britain. I have no doubt this class will produce the same level of spirit in the years to come.”
GWLN scholarship winners receive:
- Complimentary one-year membership to the Global Women’s Leadership Network
- Complimentary registration to the World Credit Union Conference (WCUC) in The Bahamas
- Complimentary registration to the GWLN Reception at WCUC
- An all-expense paid trip to attend the World Credit Union Conference in the Bahamas.
Since 2009, GWLN has awarded 51 scholarships to women from 23 countries.
Scholarships are made possible through funding from annual membership donations and sponsorships, including the generous support of CUNA Mutual Group, CU Direct, PSCU and the Susan Adams Scholarship Fund supported by One AZ Credit Union.
World Council of Credit Unions is the global trade association and development platform for credit unions. World Council promotes the sustainable development of credit unions and other financial cooperatives around the world to empower people through access to high quality and affordable financial services. World Council advocates on behalf of the global credit union system before international organizations and works with national governments to improve legislation and regulation. Its technical assistance programs introduce new tools and technologies to strengthen credit unions' financial performance and increase their outreach.
World Council has implemented 300+ technical assistance programs in 90 countries. Worldwide, 86,055 credit unions in 118 countries serve 291 million people. Learn more about World Council's impact around the world at www.woccu.org.