Senior Staff Accountant - Project, Madison, Wis.
This position is responsible for the accounting for specific donor-funded projects of the organization. Senior Staff Accountants assist with the preparation of quarterly and annual financial and tax documents to support the functions of the CFO and Senior Accounting Manager and may serve as a lead worker to coordinate special projects, such as donor audits.
- Project Accounting Duties: Responsible for all aspects of accounting for donor projects including:
- Reviewing project submissions for accuracy and allowability, verifying foreign exchange rate calculations and recording expenditures into corporate accounting software.
- Researching applicable laws, donor guidelines, and internal policies to determine allowability and reasonableness of project expenditures.
- Producing periodic invoices and other forms per contract/donor specifications.
- Reviewing detailed general ledger reports for accuracy, reasonableness and compliance.
- Producing project-specific reports such as donor financial reports, manager reports, and inventory schedules.
- Maintaining individual project binders and files.
- Processing and maintaining monthly allowance schedules for project employees.
- Reconciling project advance accounts.
- Liaising with project field accountants.
- Developing and/or revising budgets for donor-funded activities according to donor requirements, internal financial policies and project managers' specifications.
- Preparing project forecasts (life-of-project) to assist project management and for annual budget purposes.
- General Accounting Duties: Responsible for assisting with overall corporate accounting functions including:
- Preparing and processing journal entries for month-end and year-end accruals and reconciling accounts to the supporting documentation.
- Processing employee expense reports and related credit card charges.
- Producing accurate financial reports for managers.
- Providing budget support for departments during the annual budget process.
- Providing supporting schedules for annual audit.
- Providing support to other accounting staff as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Corporate Accounting Duties: Assist the CFO and Senior Accounting Manager, including:
- Reconciling and preparing quarterly USAID 425 donor reports.
- Preparing quarterly/annual U.S. Census reports.
- Assisting with preparation of annual audit schedules and financial statements.
- Assisting/coordinating schedules for special audits, such as with donors or regulatory agencies.
- Assisting with preparation/coordinating annual tax schedules (Form 990s and 1120).
- Coordinating the annual budget process.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to ensure individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience: Bachelor's degree in accounting or equivalent education and work experience. A minimum of three years of experience in public accounting, or equivalent, is required. The ideal candidate should have experience in both audit and tax preparation duties. Experience with nonprofit organizations, OMB Circulars and/or donor grants is preferred.
Interpersonal Skills: The ability to communicate in a diplomatic way.
Language Skills: Ability to read, analyze and interpret common technical journals, financial reports and legal documents; ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies or members of the business community. Fluency in English and excellent oral and written skills are required.
Mathematic Skills: Advanced accounting skills including the ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios and proportions to practical situations.
Reasoning Skills: High ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists; ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
Computer Skills: Intermediate to high-level computer skills with Excel spreadsheet, word-processing and accounting software systems. Advanced knowledge of 10-key operation and Quick Books is also required.
WORK ENVIRONMENTThe work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of the job, the employee may occasionally be exposed to outdoor weather conditions, extreme heat and/or cold and working in unusual places. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit (occasionally for extended periods of time). The employee is frequently required to talk, hear, reach and stand, but is rarely required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES
Certified Public Accountant (CPA) is required.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities; however, this position may serve as a lead worker for specific projects or on an ongoing basis, as assigned by the CFO or Senior Accounting Manager.
Up to 20 days per calendar year of travel is required.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and can be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities that management deems necessary.
To apply, forward resume and cover letter, including salary requirements, to:
World Council of Credit Unions
Fax: (608) 338-0533
EEO AAP Employer